6.26.2011

a few changes

I just got home from a *rather* busy day. FIRST, I went to my sister's swim meet (and played with my bestie Morgan!! She's the most adorable 1yr & 3mos old girl I've ever met. She has the most GORGEOUS blue eyes)  and then went to Freddy's burgers with the team afterwards, THEN went home to make a cake AND some white chocolate mousse for my grandma's house tomorrow (Sandra helped me make it. It's a wonder there's still enough to eat tomorrow!!) and THEN we played around with meringue and THEN we went to church for my youth fellowship and set up and THEN we ate pizza and saw a movie. Well wasn't that a day?
(this is mousse by the way, in case you didn't notice :P)
ANYWAY, I want to get to the "a few changes" part of this post.
At our youth fellowship, the movie we saw was called "To Save A Life". Now, with us being teenagers, we expected something new like Inception, or X-Men or something, but instead, our youth pastor gives us a movie that we haven't even heard of, and some of us maybe thought it was uncool.
Wow. We are such judgers sometimes.
to save a life
some people are just DYING to be heard
"After a childhood friend's death, Jake Taylor, an all-star athlete must change his life - and sacrifice his dreams to save the lives of others."
Now, in the title, it says "some people are just DYING to be heard". Emphasis on the word "DYING". 
Jake Taylor is a great basketball player. He has a scholarship to Louisville in his hands, the place where he's dreamed of playing since childhood. He's got a girlfriend, and doesn't make the best grades in the world, and suddenly he ends up at a funeral for his childhood friend, Roger, who has commit suicide. 
It was all so unexpected...so...uncalled for. Jake grew up with Roger. Roger pushed Jake out of the way of a moving car and saved his life, eventually resulting in a permanent injury. Roger had a limp. And because of that, people started picking on him. He didn't really mind that much, I mean, he had Jake as his friend. But then...things were different. 
Freshman year of high school. Jake's basketball team had just won one of their big games. There's a party afterwards, and Amy Briggs, the cute, blonde captain of the cheer team, asks Jake to go along. Now, Jake has already made plans to hang out with Roger at his mom's house. So he asks Amy if Roger can come along. Her response is "Um...we only have room for one more in the car, so..." You can guess what Jake does next.
The last time Jake and Roger spoke was three years ago. Roger knows everything that's happening in Jake's life. He's dating Amy now, and he's up for the basketball scholarship at Louisville. But what Jake knows of Roger? Nothing. Not anymore. 
Roger's getting picked on because of his limp. He feels so alone, that he could scream at the top of his lungs, and people won't hear him. So...Senior Year. He takes a gun to school, and fires three shots at the ceiling in the middle of the hallway. Everyone crouches down, and they stare at him. It's the first time Roger's been noticed in three years. Jake runs to the scene. "Roger, what are you doing?" He asks. "It's too late, Taylor," Roger replies, and he takes his own life, right before everyone's eyes. 
No one knows why Roger did it, but after he commit his suicide, several unexpected things start to take place in Jake's life. 

That's a basic synopsis of what happens in the movie, but I HIGHLY recommend  it for teenagers. It will open your eyes to things that you couldn't even imagine, and the bubble that you live in, with always smiling faces and perfectly iced cupcakes (yes, I said it) will be popped. But you know, maybe that's a good thing.

  • rated: PG-13, but it's worth it, all the way.
  • language: A few D-words, and some A-words, and even one S-word, but not the S-word that you think.
  • anything else: There's one quick sex scene near the beginning between Jake and Amy. It's not worth seeing, so I fast forwarded through it.
  • overall rating: Infinity out of five stars. 
After seeing this movie....I was so touched, and so inspired....so, I'm going to be making a few changes:
  1. My makeup blog series will be put on hold until further notice. I mean, I'm not going to quit on it completely, but I just think it'll be better that way, so I can focus on a new blog series. 
  2. I'm going to change my youth blog name to "Make A Revelation" or "How To Save A Life". 
  3. My new blog series is going to be called "dear society", and I would like it to be filled with guest posts from YOU GUYS (especially if you're a teenage blogger) and I want you to talk about some of the things that you see or experience as a teenager, or some things you can reflect on while you were a teenager. At the end, I'd like you to name something in society that you don't approve of, and a way we can help change that {example: How society states you have to do drugs and hang out with the troublemakers to be cool, how the girls have to be 98lbs, and 6ft tall to fit in, etc}.
I'm going to be having alot of fun with this. I want you guys to have fun too!! So, comment if you want to guest post, and please, WATCH THIS MOVIE. It will sincerely change your life. 
Until flying cars are invented....
P.S. The White Chocolate Mousse turned out SPLENDIDLY!! My family LOVED it. Sandra and I feel some recipe posts coming on..*enter suspense*


8 comments :

  1. I would love to do a guest post on eating disorders if that's okay with you. A lot of teenage girls feel the pressure to be thin, but we need to realize that we are already beautiful in God's eyes! One of my friends is going through a problem similar to that, so if some of you guys could pray for her that would be great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to try and watch that movie soon =) Great idea, by the way.
    (By the way, the white chocolate mousse sounds delicious. Never had mousse before, unless you count that Yoplait yogurt flavor. . . =P)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to participate, maybe. I have a lot of things coming up, but I would love to participate to spread awareness for a disease that is unknown and difficult to understand. How it effects the social lives of those who have it, et cetera. I'll have to see though.

    This is a great idea :)

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohmigosh, I saw that movie too and it was AH. MAZ. ING! It changed my whole view on things! :D

    and I would love love LOVE to guest post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to guest post on "the real you" aka whats inside not out because we often get caught up in how we look. I would also love to see that movie but my mom wouldn't let me because of the bad words. But, it has a good message that she thinks all of us need. I like the idea of the new series. And the mousse sounds tasty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I really want to see that movie. I'll keep it in my mind. :)
    Oh, and I would love to guest post, I've been waiting for just such an opportunity. HE knows all things. :) If I can, let me know via commenting on my blog, and I'll give you my email address. :)

    blessings!
    Katherine from
    www.allgloriouswithin-emmuna.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to guest post. It sounds like a wonderful movie and I'd like to watch it! Comment on my blog and we can talk(:

    -aBBi giRL
    -trueblueabbi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a busy day!

    And that movie sounds incredible. WOW. Now I'm curious and kinda want to watch it...

    ReplyDelete

sometimes i do not understand why you guys like me so much, but the fact that you do (and that you keep coming around) makes me happier than you can even imagine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...