8.22.2011

the outtakes

outtake - something that is taken out; a take that is not used in an edited version of a film or videotape; a recorded musical selection not included in a record album
Sometimes our life is edited. Dressed-up with the perfect effects and perfect soundtrack that plays in the background. That's what the viewers see. The ideal life with no mistakes. 
But it's not all it's cut out to be. 
Some bloggers seem to have the perfect life. They're always happy, they have the best wardrobe, and they spend their days shopping or photographing sea gulls at the beach. And don't forget that A-plus in chemistry! But in reality, that's not all. It seems like they take what was all cheery and fabulous and mix it up to create a fantastic cupcake, with icing and sprinkles on top. But life's not always a cupcake. Maybe the mix wasn't measured correctly, or the oven was too hot. The cupcake is ruined. So, what do they do? They throw it out. Forget about it. A scene is cut, a blurry photograph is deleted. But why? 
Because some people want you to think that their life is a bowl of ice cream with that extra cherry on top, even though it's not. They want smiles and kind words and nods of agreement. Because if they talk about how hard life is, wouldn't they lose some friends? In this case, followers. They want to be loved so they create an image that seems almost impossible to follow. And hundreds of people admire them. They want to be just like them. 
But why can't you be the best you you can be? Even if the souflee is deflated. Even if you snap the photo a little too late and receive a blur. Yeah, you had a bad day. The take didn't go well, someone forgot their lines, so they deleted it and had to start all over. It's okay. It's not some sort of jinx or bad luck {I don't believe in those anyway}, bad days just happen. 
I have a proposition for you. For the next fourteen days, talk about your life. Talk about you. You know, the unedited version. Without the special effects, without the music, without the makeup. I want to see you. I call it The Outtakes. The movie without the red carpet, the premieres, and fans screaming and the deafening applause. So, here's what we're going to do:
At the end of the day {or whatever time of day} post on what you did. What made it happy, what made it special, and something that didn't happen, that could've made it better. If you had a not-so-good day, post on what made it seem not-so-good, and then make a note of something that didn't happen, that could've made it better. Don't be afraid to stand out. Don't be afraid to be who. you. are. 


Here's my first outtake:
I yelled at my sister today. But then again, who doesn't? It was 8:30am, and I knew my dream was ending. I had woken up, but I hadn't opened my eyes yet. Instead, I strained my ears and heard footsteps coming in my direction. Opening my eyes a sliver, I saw my sister's figure next to mine; she was sitting on the bed, playing with my jewelry. 
"Joy, out! I told you not to come in my room!!" 
She scurried away. I felt a little sorry at that moment, but returned to slumber. 
What could've made my morning better? If she hadn't come in my room. No, I'm kidding. If I hadn't yelled at her the way I did. Mom had a talk with me about respecting my siblings. Goodness gracious. Well, that's life. I apologized to her later, and explained the whole "teenagers are cranky when they're tired, and they need their sleep" business. But then again, she's five. What would she get out of that? 
Later on, she started crying out of blue. When I asked her what was wrong, she said she didn't want to be five anymore, and that she didn't the way her adult teeth were coming. She said my teeth were prettier than hers. I told her that she wouldn't be five forever, and that I felt the same way when I was her age. She felt a little better, but then started crying again with mumbles "I miss sister when she goes to California." I consoled her and let her wear my favorite hat. I'm pretty sure she's still wearing it. She says she wants to be just like me when she gets old. I'm not old at all, but I know what she means. That was special. I'm glad I have a sister. 
It sounds like a page out of a storybook, but that's just the way I write. 
And the good news is, the day isn't over. 
So post your outtake. Don't be scared of what people might think of it, but that's there opinion. Yours is what counts. You can take this button and post it on your blog, or in your outtake post, and you can comment giving me the link to your post, so I can check it out. I want to see your outtakes, too. 
So life isn't a perfect cupcake all the time. Whatever, that's cool. It's not the end of the world. 
xoxoxoxoo :)
{pee ess, is it wrong to be starting on my Christmas wishlist already?}

20 comments :

  1. This is a great post, Jocee! This is a wonderful concept! I'm starting something similar tomorrow for my followers. You'll just have to wait and see what it is. ;)

    But yes, things aren't always perfect. I do my best to not be entirely flawless on my blog. I let the realness fade through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this!!! I love your honesty. It makes me want to stop being afraid of my mistakes. I actually wrote a post on that last night but it's still in my drafts. I'm going to post it as soon as I get a picture for it so you'll have to check it out. :) It's going to be called, "I Wonder."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Jocee. :) I think I'll post something later today or tomorrow. I'll let you know. ;) Thank-you for your honesty, its very admirable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool post, Joc! I will think about doing this on my blog. :) I don't know how to do the button thing, but whatever. :)

    Love,
    Manda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Jocee for this awesome post :) I am doing that with my blog!
    http://redheadedpenguin.blogspot.com/2011/08/outtakes-of-my-life.html

    Emma <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jocee, that's a *great* idea. I love it. And I'm gonna try to do it.

    Talia

    girlzofgodbook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a weird coincidence. I am in the middle of writing a post right now that exposes a huge (not-so-pretty) part of who I am that I've kept off my blog. I agree with you on every point here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very true! I try my best to be honest on my blog. I definitely don't share everything in my life, because that would be impossible and vastly uncomfortable, but I don't want to shy away from things just because they aren't beautiful. I want to share my life, not someone else's, and my life isn't always cupcakes and reading and kittens. That said, I do try to keep positive, because that's something that's important to me. I don't want to be all complaints and rants, because blogging is a way to highlight the good points while not exactly hiding the bad points.

    Clearly, I haven't got everything figured out, but I do appreciate what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. great idea Jocee! Glad you went with that title also, I know you had other ones in mind, but I like the Outtakes!
    Here's my post!
    http://madalyn-elizabeth.blogspot.com/2011/08/outtakes-post-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christmas Wish lists should be started December 27th. Its official. ☺

    WONDERFUL idea Jocee. I kinda wish I had a bad day, just so I could rant. But today has been pretty mellow and lame. AH HAH! I'll say today was mellow and lame! That counts, right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here's my post.

    http://desiringgodsdesires.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-outttakes-day-1.html

    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful post! Some blogs just seem to good to be true!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  13. http://dramaticelegance.blogspot.com/2011/08/draftless-challenge.html

    There you go. Remember that idea I mentioned?

    yep. this is it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this, and I totally agree with you. It was actually interesting because I finally decided to plunge in and write out some of my hard things in life. I no more than published it onto my bog when I read this post off of yours. It made me feel better and stop second guessing myself. :)

    I'm not sure that mine would qualify as an outtake. Perhaps, I'll be able to join tomorrow. : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so cool, love it.
    Haha, not at all. Today I was told I needed to start thinking of Christmas presents. In August. AUGUST PEOPLE! So yea, your good. :)

    Love,
    tinyheart

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this!!! I am so doing this!

    ♥ Johanna
    http://kidsonthefarm.blogspot.com/2011/08/my-outtakes.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. cute blog! I’ll follow you!
    I have a fashion blog too, I hope u'll be one of my followers on Bloglovin:-)
    thanks:-)
    VERONICA
    http://lifegivemefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey ive been reading your blog for awhile now and am finally commenting. I think that this post was just so inspiring there aren'words for it!! But I've had a pretty OK day but it didn't start out that way. Me and my brother were fighting like yelling fighting hurtful words were said by both of us and it was all because he wouldn't rake me to get ice cream. Of course if he hadtaken me for ice cream ... But I also could've respected that he didn't want to take me out for ice cream and that he had just got back from football but i didn't of course he's an amazing brother but I wasn't thinking that at the time I was thinking he was the meanest big brother ever. Of course he really isn't he was just tired cause after that argument he fell asleep for like two hours. :) but I'm glad I have a brother I don't know what I would do without him I just read over the b~day card he got me and I was crying, like literally crying only for a minute then he came into my room and I had to act like nothing happened. Well I don't know what else to say besides sorry my first comment was do long and i LOVE ur blog jocee!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My first outtakes post...
    http://girlzofgodbook.blogspot.com/2011/08/outtakes-day-1-little-late.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am gonna do it! Ill post the link later. Or if I forget(which is highly likely) just go to my blog!
    --Sara Beth
    {www.purpleish247.blogspot.com}

    ReplyDelete

sometimes i do not understand why you guys like me so much, but the fact that you do (and that you keep coming around) makes me happier than you can even imagine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...