8.04.2011

Senses {Guest Post by Rachel}


The sense of smell can be extraordinarily evocative, bringing back pictures as sharp as photographs of scenes that had left the conscious mind.  ~Thalassa Cruso


I am an advocate for the senses. 


I feel as though we have lost all meaning of what our five senses were created to provide and endow upon us...in this world of television and radio, our ability to physically feel is fading. 


We must remember ourselves again.


There is radical beauty to be seen if we only draw the curtains back and let our eyes feast upon the world of colour...the world of sunrises and dusty meadows of pink and green.


 There is music to be heard...not merely the melodies from our iPods and our car stereos...but the music of the universe. The orchestra of the stars that sing to the world and their Creator alone, the chirupp-ing crickets that flood each summer night with a haunting new tune of life and mystery.

There are tastes to be enjoyed, to be allowed to caress our tongues and remind us of the glory of food. The smooth coolness of chocolate mocha ice cream....the fresh flood of juice from a orchard-picked peach...the bitter gentleness of fresh-brewed coffee...the gentle burn of Indian and Thai spices from the richest of curries. 

Oh, the aromas that our noses ache to smell. There are so many found within each season...one after another to bombard and tantalize the mind. The sweetness of rain-kisses mornings, the brush of cherry blossoms and white jasmine on a spring afternoon, and the rush of aftershave from a grandfatherly hug. 


...and then there is touch. Our skin is the largest of of organs, adorned with nerve endings galore...enough to take in one variety of touch after another. The softness of a baby kitten's whiskers against one's nose, the grip of a firm handshake, the roughness of familiar shag carpet between my toes. 


What of these can we take from the television screen? Yes, it supplies us with images to view...but swiftly moving and glaringly bright pictures that we can hardly have the time to experience should not be our own sight exposure.


Step out. Take a summer night's walk, or light a scented candle and lose yourself in the gentle arouma of a new book's pages. 


Embrace your senses.


Embrace your gifts. 


It's surprising how much memory is built around things unnoticed at the time.  ~Barbara Kingsolver


About the author: I, Rachel, am a 20 -year-old dreamy newlywed, and the author of DramaticElegance. My blood runs red with passion and delight...composed with hints of freshly brewed coffee, melted chocolate, and the ink from a thousand pens. My eyes glitter with stars and imagination...my nose is flooded with the aroma of country breezes and white jasmine. My lips are laden with poetry and prose, glory and honor to the King of the universe. I am the love child of music and candlelight. I am the daughter of Aslan, and my song is love. I am a princess of the Kingdom of Heaven. I am a thundering whisper. I am a roaring lamb. 

I am only me.

(You can also find me on my twitter, you can email me, and you can also check out my August giveaway)

4 comments :

  1. I'm a daughter of Aslan, too! Hello, fellow Narnian. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful again.

    I love your, "I am a thundering whisper. I am a roaring lamb. ". ♥ it! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! ( about Aslan)

    ReplyDelete

sometimes i do not understand why you guys like me so much, but the fact that you do (and that you keep coming around) makes me happier than you can even imagine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...