7.21.2012

keep breathing.

written yesterday.
i'm not sure what i was expecting for today: friday, the twentieth of july. i woke up to the sun reflecting off of my alarm clock that read seven thirty-nine am, and went downstairs to my creative space. the light was pooling through the blinds, the windows, any outlet you can imagine, and illuminating the downstairs so that artificial lighting wasn't needed. i logged-on to my computer, and in a moment's time, whatever plans i had for the day were changed.

to God, your life is just a breath. our time is different from His, and so He sees things a lot different from the way we do. i've tried to comprehend it, but it is too great a task for me, so i've long since given up.

the thing is: life goes on. it doesn't stop for anyone, it doesn't slow down, and it doesn't add a few extra hours of grace for the ones who just don't have enough time to do anything. but in the midst of this life that's going and going and going, in the busyness of times square and the bustling of the street markets, while newlyweds are making love and teenagers are attending concerts, lives end. and unless it's someone that's really close to us, or a well-known figure, we don't notice it.

this morning, just after midnight, at the premiere of the dark knight rises, twelve peopled stopped breathing. they were there to watch a movie, to not to any harm, and an evil arose and decided to take a perfectly sane place called a movie theatre and turn it into a massacre. all in an instant, homes were broken, hearts were shattered, and voids were created.

when i saw the articles, i tried to avoid them. i didn't want to get depressed and shut myself down into a bubble of negativity. but eventually, i just let it go. watched the news with my family. cried before i went to bed. it hurts my soul to realise that when i take a breath, insignificant as it seems, someone else takes their last.

i tried to say more on this, but the words just won't come. some things are simply too big to fit neatly into a subject, into a conversation. so i will say that everything i have goes out to the victims and their families and friends. i'm praying for all of them. even the shooter.

for now, here's a mixtape. in the midst of trial and tribulation, of angst and inadequacy, we keep calm and we carry on. remember the significance of your breathing.
Photobucket

-kiss kiss kiss, keep breathing-
{pea ess: photo credit here.}

22 comments :

  1. I know. Its just so sad... :,-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. gah. this post kills me. life is so short and fleeting, and this has really been on my heart heavily lately - because of the shooting, because of a horrible nightmare i had where i lost three of my brothers, and because of an innocent bike ride with my brother tonight, in which we stumbled upon a graveyard. (LEGITIMATELY this happened.) i've been trying my hardest to let it go, but the fact is still there - but you're right. we have to keep calm and carry on. thankyou for this. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. when I heard about this, I was so upset. This is just to sad for words. awesome post Jocee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post is beautiful, Jocee. It's so sad... and yes, praying for those families, as well as the shooter.

    xo, Jessica @ Diary of a Beautiful Soul

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes. It was so sad that something like this could happen again... did you hear that one of the victims had just lived through another shooting last month in Toronto? She was going to get sushi at the mall but changed her mind and one of the victims was found dead where she would have been. And then she died in the movie theater.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad it's not up to us to take each breath or I would have stopped long ago. This is a beautiful, yet of course depressing post. I went to the midnight premire at home and was so glad I was in not in Colarado. I am so thankful I am breathing.
    Keep breathing

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is such an awful tragedy. it's just... it freaks me out, and my heart goes out to all the families and victims still involved. thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very true. Despite everything, life will go on.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is amazingly beautiful. jocee. I live in Colorado, about an hour away from where this happened. it is freaky.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely post! It was very sad that it happened, wasn't it? I agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You write so beautifully, Jocee. I've been kind of out of the blogging world for a bit, and had forgotten how much I love your blog, and YOU! You have the most precious heart, and the most beautiful way with words.
    Love ya girl.
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully put:) very much true. I am so shocked and saddened at this tragedy. I can't imagine what those poor victims must be going through!
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm speechless; tears swell in my eyes. i'm heartbroken.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing post Jocee. It is incredibly hard to comprehend it all. I know I can't. I've watched a lot about the Colorado shooting on the news too, and it's just so sad. I'm praying for them as well. Beautiful mixtape. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is beautiful, Joce. That was a terrible occurrence...God be with those poor families,. I'm praying with you- even for the shooter, he needs it most of all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where is that new design?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's coming, dearie! just rather slowly, considering both gracie and i are very busy, and we're rethinking things and discussing new ideas and such. but it shall be up soon! :)

      Delete
  17. on my best friend's 18th birthday on monday, his cousin died out of nowhere. she was 16. and even though the colorado shooting involves more loss of life, savannah's death hits so much closer to home for me.

    life is sad lately.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What happened was so sad, and I'm glad you had the courage to write about it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. you have written this beautifully. you made me cry──seriously. what happened is yet another reminder of how lives are so easily broken, how fragile life really is. i think we forget that sometimes──and it truly sickens me to realize that we have to see someone stoop this low in order to remember. i can't stop thinking about it. i even dream about it sometimes too. good gosh, i feel so sorry for those families!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Something to really think about -- thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

sometimes i do not understand why you guys like me so much, but the fact that you do (and that you keep coming around) makes me happier than you can even imagine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...