7.26.2012

on summer traditions.

naturey crap.
the color sunset.
untitled.
never let me go.
we're not that family. we don't rent out ranches or take roadtrips to the beach or even take roadtrips at all. we're not all go-and-do, but we're not all sit-and-lounge-about-wondering-when-phineas-and-ferb-are-going-to-go-back-to-school either {but let's be honest. when are they going to go back to school?}.

instead, we go to swim meets at five-something in the morning. we volunteer at a performing arts centre and take alarmingly frequent stops to the library. we spent much more time on the computer than we let on, and we watch reruns of little house and dr. quinn, and occasionally visit family members {as long as they're at most three hours away}.

mostly, i wish it wasn't like this. i wish my mom would want to go on spontaneous shopping trips with me and i wish i could take roadtrips to canada or california or some other splace that's not texas, and i wish we could eat seafood and sleep in the backyard and go trekking in the woods. but in all the things i'm not doing, i shouldn't forget about the things that i am doing, and be thankful:

the blaze of light that comes just after the sunrise // the morning dew on your hands and bare toes // little siblings peeking through the blinds at the world outside // reading in the car on the way to volunteering // helping mommy in the kitchen // sitting down to anne of green gables with leftover brownie batter // texas barbecue // waking up to light streaks on the walls // spending hours at a time on the piano // hanging out with friends.

so maybe our summer tradition is not having any tradition at all. maybe it's spontaneity and whatever inspires us at that moment, and maybe we shouldn't feel pressured to have any sort of agenda and just relax, wondering when phineas and ferb are going to go back to school. maybe we should live this summer with the understanding, that whatever we're doing is exactly what we're supposed to be doing, as abbey once said.

yeah. i think that's a good plan. what have you been doing this summer?
-kiss kiss kiss, little joy-
{pea ess: don't ask me how i managed not to post for almost a week. erm. sorry, guys.}

13 comments :

  1. love the last two! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. girl, you've nailed perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. fortheloveofallthingsbeautiful. you are an incredible human being.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this post dear :) And all of those pictures :) I think that my family takes "alarmingly frequent stops at the library" all year :P But I don't mind. I really like that line, whatever we're doing is exactly what we are supposed to be doing. Makes me getting up late seem a lot better! Sierra
    Keep Growing Beautiful♥ (Because You Are!) Philippians 4:8

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh, and yeah─when are they going back to school?! if they never do, i'm totally wishing i could scadoo into their world right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is perfect. I love the second photo. And I love the name of the first photo (it showed up in my dashboard :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exactly. I often wish my family was different. I wish we did stuff that normal blogger families do. But that's when I start forgetting about what I do have, and really, I have an elephantine amount of things to be thankful for, that's it's crazy for my brain to even brush over the thought of wishing things were different.
    That third photo is perfection, btw,

    ReplyDelete
  8. ^^^ I have to agree with Abby. And I absolutely love how your writing is so real.

    ReplyDelete
  9. phineas and ferb. ugh, I wish they'd just go to school and leave us alone. hahaha.
    also, anne is marvelous, and volunteering at a performing arts centre (woot british spelling) sounds fabulous. I'd love to hear more about that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, i like this. i feel this way with my family too :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think that was a lovely reminder for all of us. I often feel that way too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think Phineas and Ferb are too smart to go back to school. ;)

    ReplyDelete

sometimes i do not understand why you guys like me so much, but the fact that you do (and that you keep coming around) makes me happier than you can even imagine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...