11.26.2012

at starbucks.



i actually had my post for the day all set up (which isn't normal for me, so i was pretty proud of myself), and then daddy reminded me that he had a meeting at starbucks that i agreed to go to. incidentally, the meeting had nothing to do with me, but he was going to take me to school after the meeting, so he was my ride. and since i don't drive yet, it was perfectly logical.

when we arrived, i was surprised at the amount of people there. old fellows met for a breakfast club, couples sat holding hands, men met for business meetings, single people organized their schedules and studied for school, and i even saw a father and son having a 'power breakfast,' as i overheard the son say.

daddy and i sat down at a two-person table next to the window, and i took in the deep rich scent of coffee beans. "daddy, i want a peppermint mocha," i pleaded. "you have money, you can buy one." "..." he was like that. he said that soon, i would be paying for everything myself. i guess i understood, so i went up to the counter. the barista was cheery, sing-song-ing a "good morning!" in tune with zooey deschanel's she & him Christmas album. i ordered my peppermint mocha, along with a cranberry orange scone, which was and is my favourite. they didn't ask for my name, because it wasn't very busy and there wasn't any need to, but i went ahead and imagined what would've happened if they did.

if the barista asked for my name, i'd shift from one foot to the other and say, "nirrimi," [which is perfectly ethereal] and smile meekly. they'd write it on the cardboard part of my cup with that familiar scruffy sound, and give it to the person who made the drinks. i'd pay and stand of the other side of the counter, waiting for my drink and imagining the lives of the other people around me.

one of the best things about going to starbucks is that you don't have to be yourself; you can be anyone you want to, fictional or real. you can create scenarios for yourself and the people around you and try to act the way you would if you were really in that situation. and considering the busyness that's been taking over my life as of late, it's nice to go on a personal vacation and put all schedules aside for a time, though it may be short.

if the barista asked for my name, they'd call it when my drink was ready, and our fingertips might've briefly touched if they handed it directly to me. i'd take my seat next to the window, maybe taking out a piece of writing that i'd started the night before, and i'd pour myself into it as though i was who i told them i was.

i just think it's nice to get away from reality and create your own alternate universe sometimes. who are we if we have no imagination? on a different note, i had my first peppermint mocha today, and it made me feel like Christmas was just around the corner. of course, it is. 
happy monday, all.
-kiss kiss kiss, sugar-pie honeybun-

30 comments :

  1. starbucks... YES!

    Hey, I'm having a giveaway at my blog, I thought i would let you know incase you were interested!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely pictures, Jocee. :) And the drink sounds wonderful too! There's such a warm feeling about your photos that makes me feel content inside. :)

    Hope you have a lovely afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. girly. this is the best thing I have read in ages. it is perfect. and your photos. the grain. the coffee. perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way you wrote this, Jocee. :) And a peppermint mocha sounds all lovely and Christmasy. I should get one too.

    Blessings!

    -Madi

    ReplyDelete
  5. your words are like chocolate -- so therapeutic, and i can either devour them or savor them, depending on what kind of reading mood i'm in. well done, doll. xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. fun, fun! starbucks always- ALWAYS hits the spot :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. There are few delights in life as lovely as sitting in Starbucks warming your hands on something delicious and watching the people around you as you soak in the atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness. Jocee, we think the exact same way! This is so beautiful. I love your writing. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. awesome Jocee.
    power breakfast, now that is smart.
    yeah, i find it interesting watching people do their thing. I always wondering what their thinking about or what is happening in their life. I bet people look at me and wounder the same things.
    Em

    ReplyDelete
  10. This post just made me SO happy...and thos pictures *sighs* so crisp and warm. You are brilliant, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i have had some of the most serious thoughts of my life in that place. starbucks is the place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ok. sooooo, this was just minty biscuits. I loved it. a lot a lot. and you were talking about starbucks. and you took pictures of coffee. let's go to starbucks together?

    ReplyDelete
  13. that's the best part about going places where you won't know people; you don't have to be yourself. plus, i love people watching. just love. it's so inspirational. hehe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. ljfalkj flksdaj oijdf I freaking love peppermint mochas, starbucks, and these pictures (which I'm guessing are the ones you were editing whilst skyping?). love this. holla!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. actually, no, those were different pictures that will be on the blog soon! :) i took these this morning.

      Delete
  15. love this post. starbucks is my favorite and so are you. :]

    ReplyDelete
  16. You had me at "Starbucks". I love the way you write. And such a lovely place you have here!

    ReplyDelete
  17. nirrimi like the photographer? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! gah, it's such a beautiful name. it's so magical.

      Delete
  18. Yep, I just love this. Like, a lot.
    Thank you for being YOU, Jocee! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. i absolutely love this post mate:)
    haha, in Australia we have Boost, they sell smoothies. So me and my friends had this great idea of what our names should be when the lady asked. we all ordered one at a time. the first one of us says our name is May. The next, March. June, October. And then my other friend moves to the front. The lady looks at her. "What month are you?"
    "July."
    It was awfully funny because I don't think I would've answered with a month after that. :P

    Ooh, Jocee, have you seen that thing on Pinterest, "I wanna go to startbucks, say my name's Prim and when they call it, yell out 'i volunteer as tribute!'" ..or aren't you into the hunger games? :)

    anyways, this post made me smile and think of Christmas (someday i might go to america and discover a cold, snowy Christmas!)and just thankyou for reminding me of the simplicities of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, yes i'm into the hunger games, and i've actually done the "i volunteer as tribute!" thing with friends. it was hilarious.

      Delete
    2. haha awesome! i'm pumped to try it. ;)

      Delete
  20. OH MY GOSH THIS IS SO BEAUTIFUL. I really wanna go to Starbucks now. Sadly, I've never been.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes yes, peppermint mochas are the best eva. And the caramel lattes. (: One time at McDonald's I gave the cashier a fake name because sometimes I get tired of having to repeat and spell my name to them, like, four times, haha. (:

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is just... like the best thing ever. Jocee, your writings are so beautiful. And honest! You write things the way people think them- which is why I think they resonate so easily with people. Love this to death!
    --

    ReplyDelete
  23. i totally agree. and your writing - it is just magical. xo

    ReplyDelete

sometimes i do not understand why you guys like me so much, but the fact that you do (and that you keep coming around) makes me happier than you can even imagine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...