11.22.2012

that day is today.

that day is today.
written tuesday.
I like life for this reason. It is 4:35pm, 74 degrees. My last official English Composition 1 class has ended; it's just optional workshops from here on out. I think my friend, Chelsea, and I will be the only two people in class for the workshops. I guess that's better than being in there alone. 4:37pm now, and I wish he'd hugged me on the way out the door, instead of just Ashley. But besides that, I am okay. 
     The sun is starting to go down. Earlier now that ever. I am sitting on a bench in the school's courtyard, watching people come and go or sit still. One girl is lying on a bench across from me. The fountain is trickling with the Prometheus stature standing triumphantly atop it, but I am oblivious to the other sounds around me. The leaves are rustling on their branches and some flutter to the ground, and they are alight with the gleam of the sun's rays. Motorcycles and minivans are rolling out of the parking lot, and I see someone that I know. Quentin? Brendan? I'm not sure, but I'll leave it be. 
     The sun is low enough now that the dandelion fluff floating through the air is so visible that you'd think they were little flying fairies. The water fountain has stopped, but I can only feel and hear my heart beating because I am pressing into the soft space in the centre of my collarbone. At moments like this, I like life because it feels like it's just me and the world. Me against the world. And I'm winning. A single heartbeat (or two; I might just be a Timelord) against a wide array of land and sea with so many possibilities, so much to be discovered. Right now, there is no rush. No obligations. Nothing to do when I get home. It's just me and God. 
     And for this, I am truly thankful.

i woke up this morning to the smell of thyme and oregano, just like every year. after coming downstairs, i heated a pot of water and drank a hot cup of tea, accompanied with my first pomegranate, which was really good. at 9am, joy turned on the macy's thanksgiving day parade, which is infinitely cheesy, and yet still manages to bring back memories. to be perfectly honest, i think people take a lot of things for granted. i hear the usual thankfuls - family, friends, food, a home - and yet, it seems like people don't seem to care much about them until they're compromised. i realised how much i loved the kids i babysat when their mom told me they were moving. so today, i encourage you to be intentional. don't run on automatic. count your blessings and love them as though you have to let them go. be thankful. be thankful for that space in the centre of your collarbone that you press into with just enough force to feel the life in you responding. and remember, God is good always. forever and ever amen.

also, i'm really excited about the macaroni and cheese mommy's making. 
-kiss kiss kiss, augh charlie brown-
{pea ess: quote from david nicholls' novel, one day.}

11 comments :

  1. happy Thanksgiving, Jocee! :) loved this, girl. beautiful pictures, too! there is so much to be thankful for. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jocee, you wrench our hearts every post.. SUCH a wonderful girl you are!
    Eloquent words. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is perfect jocee. love it. happy thanksgiving! i hope you have a great one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving, Jocee!

    And those pomegranates. *drools*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot tell you how much this blessed me. Thank you, thank you, thank you SO much.

    xxx Acacia

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is ever so lovely, Jocee! seriously girl. your writing is so inspiring. and the first photo, oh the first photo... gah!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. jocee, I just LOVE the way you write. there is something so unique about it and I love yous gurl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness. I. Love. The. Fourth. Picture. So. Much.

    Just wondering; how long did it take you to write this post? Did the ideas just come to mind or did you have to think everything over a bunch before writing it?

    ~Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, the first part of the post was written tuesday. so many thoughts were coursing through my mind and i had to get them down. the second part was written yesterday, on actual thanksgiving. that i just threw together. it's funny how you write and the words just keep coming to you, sometimes without your having to think about them. :)
      thank you so much, sweetie! <3

      Delete
  9. this was beautiful. you deserve an emmy. xo

    ReplyDelete

sometimes i do not understand why you guys like me so much, but the fact that you do (and that you keep coming around) makes me happier than you can even imagine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...