9.11.2011

remember our National Anthem?

you know:
oh say can you see, 
by the dawn's early light, 
what so proudly we hailed
at the twilight's last gleaming
not:
oh say can you see, 
i'm pregnant and in a fright
my boyfriend has bailed, 
i'm going to kill this baby tonight
15 million people killed before they had a chance to take a breath on their own. and no one has absolutely no idea who they could've become had they lived. i know you're thinking by now "this is a post about abortion". actually, no. it's a post about America.
you know that part at the end of the National Anthem? 
oh say does that Star Spangled Banner yet wave
o'er the land of the free
and the home of the brave
yes. we're free and we are brave. but why are we killing people that are our own kin? and why are we letting ourselves stand by...while the people we love are being killed? 
My mom was watching a documentary of 9/11 today. And...on the 10th anniversary of that tragic event that shook this whole country...I'm just beginning to see what went down. What went through...and what didn't make it. And I was kind of like:
what happened? how could this happen? where is the country going? how could we let this happen?

The day the two towers were struck, I was four years old. Was to be five in less than three months. It was a homeschool day, and my best friends Jessica, Amber and Raven and their mother were at my house. We were being educated, when my dad yelled down the stairs. "turn on the TV!!" And so my mom did. And as they did, a second explosion occurred. There was no schooling that day because our parents were glued to the television, and being so young and not knowing what was going on, Jess, Amber, Raven and I played and played and played like there was nothing wrong. This is the first time I heard that story. And now I'm ashamed that ten years later, I don't know more about that happening. I'm just now learning about what took place on the day that changed millions of people's lives. What were they thinking? On both sides of the story.

Good: It's a beautiful day. The sun is shining, there's not a cloud in the sky. 
Evil: It's a beautiful day. And a glorious day to kill.

And then, suddenly, out of the blue, what looks like snow seems to fall out of the sky. And the people look up. And there's destruction for miles.

Evil manifested in the United States on September 11th, 2001. They wanted to make a statement. And they did just that. They did it by killing innocent people. Blocking their escape so they had no way of getting out. And they jumped to their deaths because they didn't want to burn in their offices. In reality, it was a wake up call. For me, at least.

And this was the wake-up call:
Sometimes, the people who live in America seem oblivious to what's going on around them. People are dying of starvation in Africa, India. Everywhere, and yet they go on in their bubble, as if everything is okay. Well, on this day, ten years ago, their bubble was popped. And their eyes we opened.

Yeah. Maybe you're the popular one in your school. Or maybe you're a popular blogger. I don't care who you are, or what you are. Someone hates you. And they don't want you to succeed. So to make sure you doing, they crash into you. Whether it be physically, mentally, emotionally or financially, they shoot you. You take a bullet. And what's inside of that bullet?

See? Look what you did? You screwed up. Again. Like you always do. That's why your mom yells at you. That's why your siblings sneer at you and call you the "odd-one-out". So, why don't you just end your life? Atleast that's the one thing you wouldn't screw up in doing.

And that bullet is withdrawn from your body, and reloaded into the gun, and shot into another person. A different analogy is chewing gum. The evil puts the gum in your mouth and says the same words:
You're a failure. You worthless little piece of scum. And then, takes it out of your mouth, puts it back in the wrapper, takes it out again, and puts it in someone else's mouth. Yes. Gross.

I just want to know what thing? Who are we? Where do we live, who do we serve? I'm an American, I live in the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave. And I serve God. And I'm not going to except that old-tired-out chewing gum or that withered-up-old bullet.

So, today, on the tenth anniversary of 9/11, remember who you are. Remember that you have a purpose. Don't go around blowing up building in the name of a lie in the form of a piece of chewing gum. Remember that you are free. And you are His.

I'm taking a moment to remember who perished on this terrible day ten years ago. I'm praying for their families, their friends, and anyone who was involved. I'm praying that they will have peace. I'm praying for America.
I'm just going to pray. 

14 comments :

  1. wow... I don't even live in the United States... but AMAZING post! God Bless!

    ~Abbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, I got chills reading this! Thanks so much for recognizing everyone and really pin pointing what our world has come to be! Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. very different perspective on this day in our history.

    lovely job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thats a really inspiring post Jocee xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. i seriously love your blog! love the song as well! who is it by and what is it called? (recognise it from narnia film) and i agree with the peter pevensie part :) Also this blog entry was inspiring. wow. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very good. And the analogies were excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AMAZING post Jocee! amazing.

    ♥Samarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. i was seven when it happened, and all i remember is being in the basement and mom was glued to the TV, freaking out, and i remember seeing people running crazily all over the place, on TV, and seeing alot of smoke. :/ so ya.

    GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a deep post; and yes, praying is probably the best thing to do for our country: always.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazingly fantastic post Jocee!
    You may want to know I posted on my blog my take on the prince caspian movie.
    Although I did critizize your husband...
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know what you mean. I never really knew much about what happened that horrible day exactly ten years ago, until today. It's so sad, yet some of the people's stories are amazing. I'll pray too. And as the saying goes: May We Never Forget. <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Incredible post Jocee. I'm praying with you.

    ReplyDelete

sometimes i do not understand why you guys like me so much, but the fact that you do (and that you keep coming around) makes me happier than you can even imagine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...