6.27.2012

jump! - a guest-post by alexa anne

So, you're a photographer, and you're trying to get your model to bend her arm in such a way so that she looks as if she's naturally running her fingers through her hair, but she hasn't the slightest idea what you're doing and in all honesty, she couldn't possibly look more awkward, and you're frustrated to the point of ripping your hair out and - just stop. Standard poses are great for getting started, but if you have to force your way to a 'natural' look, I can already tell you it will look anything but 'natural'. That's why I love the jumping technique - it's totally foolproof (for both the photographer and the model) and it requires no special equipment or talent. All you need is a stable surface of some kind, and a little spontaneity. Here are a few jumps to get you started.

1. THE HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL JUMP
This is usually my go-to jump. Maybe it's because Zac Efron's beautiful face is burned into the back of my mind, or because I spent my elementary years rocking out to 'We're All in This Together' and 'Bop to the Top', but it's always the first jump that comes to mind.


HOW TO: Count to three, throw your arms up in the air, and kick your legs up to one side. Then, smile like a rockstar. 

2. THE LEPRECHAUN
This was introduced to me by my crazy friend, Erin. I swear she's secretly a leprechaun, because how else could she pull this off?


HOW TO: When you jump, make sure to lift your legs up high enough and bend your arms, with clenched fists. For the finishing touch, cock your head a little to the left, and voila! - you're a leprechaun.

3. THE CRIPPLED POISON-DART FROG JUMP
This is me attempting the leprechaun (see above example). Obviously it didn't turn out. Hence, the name, 'crippled poison-dart frog'.


HOW TO: Bend your legs in a frog-like fashion (i.e. knees above hips), then position your arms in such a way so that you look crippled in some way, shape, or form. A manic grin or smile is a nice touch.

4. THE JUMPY-TALKY
You'll get some interesting facial expressions out of this one. Especially if you're an animated talker.


HOW TO: This one's pretty self explanitory. You jump and talk. You talk and jump. Lacking conversation? Have your client describe, in detail, their entire day - that should give you enough time for several shots. 

5. FREESTYLE
Unlike swimming, this term actually means 'do whatever you want'. Go crazy. Send your limbs in directions you never knew were possible. Invent a new jump, for crying out loud!


HOW TO: You tell me.

I hope these help break the ice a little at your next shoot (assuming you use them. If not, well then, I guess I just wasted a good chunk of your time.) Remember, these are meant to be fun, and there really is no 'right' way to do these. Be creative and go beyond my five examples. Experiment with different angles and focal-points. The best part of the jumping technique is that there's a guaranteed different outcome every time - no hair will ever fall in the same place, and the faces are sure to get a laugh. The possibilities are endless, so knock yourself out. 

(Note: a trampoline may or may not amplify the results of this technique.)

________________________________________________________________________________________

ABOUT THE WRITER

I am Alexa Anne. An aspiring photographer and writer. I dream, I think, I wonder. Easily inspired, I spend too much time on pinterest. My style? Somewhere between eclectic, bohemian, and indie, with a touch of vintage. I enjoy rainy days spent by the warmth of a fire in a nearby coffee shop. Give me my camera and my moleskine and I'm set for the day. Jesus is my savior, my hero, my love. I'm an introvert all the way. Upon first encountering someone,  the first thing they notice is my height. My heart belongs in the city. I believe the quietest people have the loudest minds. I love to create. I adore elephants. I hope to one day live in New York. I am Alexa Anne - a young woman discovering her place in this world. I blog over at Hello, Hodgepodge and I'd love for you to come check it out!

13 comments :

  1. I love this...that's all. You two are so cute and so are your jumps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ditto Olivia. this is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, lovely guest-post. I never realized there were so many different ways to jump! :)
    - Victoria @ Victoria Writes

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is so fun! you two are so adorable :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post it looks so fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, this is...fantastic. Haha! I love your sense of humor. You are on my like list. And so is this post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really helpful thanks! I'm going to do a 'photoshoot' for my bestie as her birthday present! :)
    Kimmy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are just lovely! Your photos are really fun and wonderful, thanks for these tips haha! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. You don't know how helpful this post is/was!! :D I'm going out for a jump photoshoot. hehe. ;)

    ♥ lindz

    ReplyDelete
  10. not only is this informative, but it's so funny! i'm going to do this one day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so cute <3 I'll have to try these next time I'm out taking photos :)

    ReplyDelete

sometimes i do not understand why you guys like me so much, but the fact that you do (and that you keep coming around) makes me happier than you can even imagine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...