11.16.2012

steal away.

it's alive.
Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination. Devour old films, new films, music, books, paintings, photographs, poems, dreams, random conversations, architecture, bridges, street signs, trees, clouds, bodies of water, light and shadows. Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic. Authenticity is invaluable; originality is non-existent. And don’t bother concealing your thievery - celebrate it if you feel like it. In any case, always remember what Jean-Luc Godard said: 'It’s not where you take things from - it’s where you take them to.' — Jim Jarmusch
the reason i really like this quote is because it's true. and i think that we, as bloggers, sometimes do things based upon the response that other people got when they did them. i think sometimes we do things for words of praise, the 'oh my gosh, this is brilliant!' and the 'love love love this' sort of comments, and not for ourselves. the thing is, we should blog entirely for others personal pleasure, we should also blog for ourselves. if we blogged for others, how many times would we change our design, our blog name, our faith, and our goals and our dreams? who would we be doing this for? it may [sometimes] get us the response we've been aiming for, but in the end, are we really happy? like, really, and truly? do you feel like you've accomplished something for yourself?

i dare you to take jim's words to heart when you blog next. especially follow this: "select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul." but don't forget to credit back to where you got it so you can show what you've brought to it. and you know, if you like, you can show me what you've done. but don't do it for me, do it for you. especially for you.

incidentally, the plant above is something that my sister was given a long time ago. it was vibrant and green at first, but if you know my family, you'd know that we're not the best at keeping up with plants. and yet, after some chiding from a friend [or relative, i can't remember], joy's been watering it everyday, and the leaves are growing again, and it looks rather nice on the windowsill. so even though she faltered at caring for it at first, she's been diligent at it, and look at it now! it's really not what you take away, it's what you give. so, sew your seed and reap your harvest. and then you can invite me over for dinner. 


-kiss kiss kiss, flushed away-
{pea ess: don't judge me, it looked better in black and white. #dealwithit}

15 comments :

  1. love that quote!!! and the #dealwithit made me die laughing. epic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUSSS. see this is why i love you. and that gif? priceless. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES YES YES! I want to be a kind of blogger that won't change for my followers.. I mean, it's my blog, right? I will do it then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome. I really admire how you stay true to yourself. I also admire your real-ness and authenticity. Thank you for this post.

    Blessings!

    -Madi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jocee, whatever you post is something I needed to read. Even when I don't know that I need it. After reading it, I just feel like, "that's what I was feeling. She gets it."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this. It is awesome.

    Kianabates.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I love the quote!
    Thank you for posting this. It's exactly what I needed to read.

    ---->> Kate

    ReplyDelete
  8. I relate so much with this. At times I have pressured myself to be 'original'. I am just starting to learn what being authentic really means. It's not always easy. But in the words of my mama, 'There is nothing new under the sun' :)

    You're awesome Jocee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So it's cool if I take your writings and use them as my own? Cool! Ill use one of the photo's from this blog as my next assignment. Thanks for the permission!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the quote. Haha, that animation thingy is funny. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so good to hear. Thanks for the reminder, dear Jocee. You are an inspiration. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

sometimes i do not understand why you guys like me so much, but the fact that you do (and that you keep coming around) makes me happier than you can even imagine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...