12.22.2012

just do it.

“the advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up & get to work. if you wait around for the clouds to part & a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. all the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. things occur to you." ~ chuck close
i would get really philosophical and deep and talk about how you should just go to what you want to do without any pretense of ideas or plans or anything because you are your own limit and you are in control of you and you can let yourself be inspired or simply wait and watch people do fantastical things while you rub your temples and say "why didn't i think of that?" and let yourself fall prisoner to an infinite loophole of "this isn't good enough because someone else has already done it," but you shouldn't feel like that because if you want to do it just do it; but i won't talk about any of that because frankly, i don't feel like it. and i don't feel like i have to say anything deep or philosophical. it doesn't have to be mind-blowing to be good. it just has to be you. i read somewhere that you should do what you love and love what you do. and that's what i'm doing.

because as of right now, i have fired mr. inspiration. #idowhatiwant #joceeswag
-kiss kiss kiss, and none for gretchen weiners-
{pea ess: found this quote on hannah nicole's 2013 pinterest board.
and i didn't want to improperly credit the photo on the pin, so i made my own.}

8 comments :

  1. beautiful. and I agree completely.

    p.s. (where oh where did you find that font??)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i think it's on dafont.com, and it's called "signerica medium." :)

      Delete
  2. You just have to get an Avengers quote in every post, don't you? I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. again, again I say, you are brilliant and meant for great things my dear, including writing. so talented. but anyway, this is good, really good, and really thought provoking. although I'd much rather wait for the "ah-ha" moment when everything falls together perfectly, when does that ever really happen? I think it's just wasting time when I could be getting through book story lines and character sketches and the like. it's not fun, to force yourself into productivity, but time not spent chasing after your dream is time wasted, and although waiting for inspiration can be nice with a good long book and cup of tea, it's just as good when you find it in the creative process.
    anywho, okay, wow, long comment. k, bye.
    wait, not done.
    your comment on my blog made me tear up, and I'm so happy the book touched you as well, my dearie. I'm glad you got it off your chest, because yes, everyone needs this, always, at least once.
    i love you, remember that.
    and you haven't sent my painting yet... just thought I'd throw that in there.
    k, now I'm done. bye.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this. It was encouraging. You are encouraging. :))

    Blessings!

    -Madi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my word, yes. I've been seeing more and more lately how things happen for the better when I don't plan them to. They just sort of fall together right before my eyes when I don't push it to happen. It makes me happy that just DOING it without over-thinking is best.

    Love it!
    --

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my gah that picture is amazing. and the typography is really well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ehhhh I feel that way all the time. I'm like, "Why in the world did I not think of that!?" and "I'm such a failure in life." *facepalm*

    Except you inspire me so much, Jocee. And I'm always like... O.o after I read what you write.

    You have a lot of great fonts, don't you? ;)

    <3
    ~Jenny

    ReplyDelete

sometimes i do not understand why you guys like me so much, but the fact that you do (and that you keep coming around) makes me happier than you can even imagine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...