2.23.2013

is vulnerability even a good thing?

one time when we visited family in michigan, my mom and aunt went out to get ingredients for cake. when they got back, they had two dozen eggs. the recipe calls for five. my aunt explained, saying she and mom were talking, laughing, having a good time, and they missed the cart and dropped the egg carton onto the floor. they splattered inwardly. the yoke didn't spill onto the floor. the mess was inside, visible only when the carton was opened. i realised that's who we are. layered, delicate, like the carton. like eggshells. the first is pliable. tangible. the second is thin. like dark, rotton ice during a thaw. used, trampled on, like a small bed of flowers. to make a long story short, we've all been damaged. we've all been cracked; we've all bled. maybe we haven't stopped. and sometimes we don't show our pain. when looking at others, we can't see it at first. so we have to peel back gently, layer by later. or we have to completely crack the egg wide open. point is, we all get cuts, scars. we all get hurt. but we don't have to hold it in. sometimes, it's okay to let the scars show. let it go. scream, punch the wall. tell someone about it. let the tears stream down your face as if you lost something you could not replace (coldplay). sometimes vulnerability can save you. wash the wounds and let them heal, don't reopen them. they'll only cut deeper. let the tears fall like a sudden rainstorm: relentless, without restrain. and sometimes, especially in the spring, rain will make the flowers grow (les miserables).

-kiss kiss kiss, and you will keep me safe-

25 comments :

  1. This is why I love you.
    Thank you for assuring me it is okay to not be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jocee... this post really spoke to me. Thanks for this. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was beautiful, dollface. bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful reminder :). Thank you for your beautiful writing and your beautiful you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you so much for this. your writing is beautiful, and I really needed to see this today. thank you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. That last line... my heart. Les Mis -- oh my gawh. xoxo, and all the cheekbones!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is wonderful, Jocee. letting my emotions show is something I struggle with. This was what i needed to hear!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jocee I actually needed to hear this <3 Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. :) :) :)
    wash the wounds and let them heal, don't reopen them. they'll only cut deeper. love that part so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful words Jocee :)
    I can really relate to this post at the moment and it made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was beautifully written and thought provoking. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so true for someone I know at the moment, you've so much wisdom Jocee :)
    Kimmy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. basically just yes to les mis, the end.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jocee, this could not be more beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you. "The rain will make the flowers grow."

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't even go on to say how wonderful and poignant this was to me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. mmmm, yes. beautiful + poignant words. <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think it's pretty cool how you based this post on eggs and quotes.

    It's kind of hard for me to let all my emotions out like that. I'm the type of person who holds most things back and rants only to the people whom I think will truly understand how I feel; I haven't even met the right/real friends yet.

    Thanks,
    ~Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  19. jocee, i've never been more inspired. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really love this and needed to read it.
    "And you will keep me safe, and you will keep me close." AHHHH!!!
    Pure beautifulness :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can't tell you how much I love this analogy, and how much I love les mis, and how much that really made the post.

    "This rain that brings you here is heaven blessed... this rain will wash away what's past, and you will keep me safe, and you will keep me close, and rain will make the flowers..."

    ~Gracie

    ReplyDelete

sometimes i do not understand why you guys like me so much, but the fact that you do (and that you keep coming around) makes me happier than you can even imagine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...