6.21.2013

fiction fridays, part ten.

010: chocolat.

i did something for you, on the last day of the semester. it was raining, and you moved your portable art station inside to the benches. the way your hair fell from its bun; a habit since grade school dreams of pointe, you told me, onto the rims of your glasses was art itself. but your art is a whole different story.
    you should know that i hate chocolate. more than anything else in the world. it's too bitter, too prominent, too overbearing. and i'm 'considerably less human' for thinking so. and you might know - one of these days. one of these days when you or i have had too much to drink (should you want to spend time with me), maybe i'll tell you.
    the way your hair fell from its bun (like rain - sudden and straightforward) was art itself. your art is a whole different story. but the pan of cupcakes, sitting open next to your knee, was plain. yellow cake with chocolate spread.
   and i commented such.
   "i was in a hurry," you smudged the hand of a half-finished character. "would you like one?"
   it is only for you that i accepted before processing denial.
   i peeled back the liner reluctantly (the way people do bananas) and took a bite with your expectant eyes as audience.
   maybe i'm blind to objection when it comes to you. maybe i found the chocolate sweet because you are, and infinitely. maybe i'm too prominent, too overbearing. maybe you evened me out, slowed me down. maybe i found the cake to be the perfect counterpoint because of that. maybe i liked the way the chocolate lingered in the end. the way you did.
    either way, i did something for you, on the last day of the semester. all for you, katie. all for you.

-kiss kiss kiss, and i'd dream of you if-

14 comments :

  1. this is very pretty and your words flow like poetry. also your title reminded me of the movie with johnny depp, which also happens to be one of my favorite movies of all time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! i love that film. and i thought that particular spelling was more... sophisticated. ;) <3

      Delete
  2. I like the words you used. I could picture everything very vividly. I really like this sentence: "the way your hair fell from its bun (like rain - sudden and straightforward) was art itself." and this one: "it was raining, and you moved your portable art station inside to the benches. the way your hair fell from its bun; a habit since grade school dreams of pointe, you told me, onto the rims of your glasses was art itself. but your art is a whole different story."

    Continue being awesome,
    ~Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so so so talented jocee. your choice of words is perfection:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i don't think you understand how much i love your fiction fridays. this was so eloquent and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHEN YOU BECOME FAMOUS.. REMEMBER ME?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excuse me while I aggressively envy your writing skills.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The words you use are amazing, but what I loved most about this is the way you see people. There is something so very unique and vivid about the way you notice details and the way you can describe them. Also the emotion you capture is truly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is absolutely amazing. please, keep doing this x
    give away over at my blog! :: Definitely Screaming

    ReplyDelete
  9. really.why did you have to kill me.now i'm dead.
    But really - matching your friend so delicately to the way chocolate tastes? Brilliant, I tell you. And the first sentence: "i did something for you, on the last day of the semester." AH, it's like I can't even stop reading if I wanted to.

    And how "but your art is a whole different story" is repeated. WHY DO I NOT KNOW THIS PERSON NAMED KATIE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA.
      you're precious. although, you probably don't know katie because she doesn't exist. ;)

      Delete
  10. I remember reading this, before 'she' had a name.
    if you ever stop writing fiction, i will hunt you down and pinch you.
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

sometimes i do not understand why you guys like me so much, but the fact that you do (and that you keep coming around) makes me happier than you can even imagine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...