6.14.2013

gemstones | guest post by jenn


When my older sister turned 16, my parents bought her a ring--an emerald ring, since she's always been in love with that color.  I remember as my mom tried to pick out just the right one, looking at the shape, design, size, and mostly, the color.  You see, there was a significant difference in color between lab-created emeralds and true emeralds.  The fake ones were gorgeous, quite frankly--the color was deep and rich and flawless.  The real ones, on the other hand, were a little lighter in color, often with little flecks of light reflecting subtle impurities in the stone.  In ways, it really didn't seem quite as pretty.

But it was worth so much more.

My sister's favorite color may always be that deeper, richer green, but she has never regretted getting a real emerald ring, imperfections and all.

I want to be like a gemstone, a real one.  A fake one may be prettier, more perfect, may draw the attention or admiration of more, may seem like the better choice between the two.  But what is the point, if all of it is fake?  A real person has struggles as well as triumphs, weaknesses as well as strengths, as a part of what makes them who they are.  The real life versus the fake one is almost guaranteed to be messy, painful, imperfect, and not always the prettiest to look at.  But it is worth so much more.  It is genuine, it is honest, and that in itself makes it more beautiful than the hastily smoothed-over surface of a fake one could ever be.

I got a ring for my 16th birthday, too.  It's an aquamarine--a real one, so it's very light and sometimes people confuse it for a diamond.  But it hasn't left my hand for two and a half years, and to me it's much more beautiful than a fake turquoise stone could ever be.  Just as a real, heartfelt, genuine, feeling, honest, true person is so much more beautiful to me than anyone trying to fake it.

And isn't it interesting that, in the end, gemstones are just rocks that have undergone a lot of pressure?



I like to make people laugh. Books get me, and I obsess over musicals. I love Jesus and life and people and theatre and deep philosophical conversations and being ridiculous. I'm Jennoelle, but you can call me Jenn.  Come visit me at UO!

also: twitter | tumblr | instagram

13 comments :

  1. i really loved this post, thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn, this is beautiful. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi my name is jess and this is my heart, you stole it right out of my chest and then wrote about it, how dare you.

    (no but really, this was pretty much the best thing ever. love you lots, girlie.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenn, you are gorgeous. LIKE WOAH.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So beautiful and amazing...you're awesome Jenn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. And isn't it interesting that, in the end, gemstones are just rocks that have undergone a lot of pressure?

    I was thisclose to yelling out 'AMEN' when I read that, because this post is beautiful in and of itself and then you just drop that logic bomb and it's like 'ASDFGHJKL;' and just wow, girl. The amateur geologist (the Smithsonian's book on rocks, fossils and gemstones was pretty much my life a few years ago, you don't even know) in me is grinning.

    xo | ani

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is an awesome post! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is amazing. wow, your writing and pictures are spectacular x
    - Jianine

    ReplyDelete
  9. If there was a 'like' button, I would click it a billion times.

    This post was truly, really brilliant and I want to share this with the world. I love your words, and I think everyone would agree with your writing.

    Love,
    ~Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  10. okay, so i almost skipped right past this post on my dashboard, but ohmigoshwoahhh am i glad i didn't. this was just so...eye opening.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this. this is wonderful. your writing + words are true and real.

    ReplyDelete
  12. the message you bring across here is wonderful. a great reminder to everyone everywhere. thanks for guest posting, doll. :) <3

    ReplyDelete

sometimes i do not understand why you guys like me so much, but the fact that you do (and that you keep coming around) makes me happier than you can even imagine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...