6.07.2011

11:11 - i wished for you

I don't know what it is about dreaming. I mean, it was built into our minds, and we can't even comprehend life without it. So many things have been created just by dreaming, and had they not been created, most of us wouldn't exist.
Sometimes, when I read a book, I find myself creating images that I didn't know I could make. The simple description of a structure or a person can cause vivid pictures come into my mind, and it is because of my own imagination; my own dreams.
dream:
     1.  a series of thoughts, images, or emotions occurring during sleep
     2.  an experience of waking life having the characteristics of a dream: as
          a.  a visionary creation of the imagination (daydream)
        b.  a state of mind marked by abstraction or release from reality (reverie)
        c.  an object seen in a dreamlike state (vision)
    3. something notable for its beauty, excellence, or enjoyable quality <the new car is a dream to operate>
    4. a.  a strongly desired goal or purpose <a dream of becoming president>
       b. something that fully satisfies a wish <a meal that was a gourmet's dream>
imagination:
     1.  the act or power of forming a mental image of something not present to the senses or never before wholly perceived in reality
    2. a. creative ability
       b. ability to confront and deal with a problem (resourcefulness) <use your imagination and get us out of here>
       c.  the thinking or active mind <stories that fired the imagination>
    3. a. a creation of the mind; especially : an idealized or poetic creation
       b.  fanciful or empty assumption
Dreams and imaginations go hand-in-hand in my book. What's one without the other? Without it, how would we be exposed to literature and music, and the very things that make up our everyday life? There would be no Narnia, no Middle Earth, no Wonderland, no Hogwarts, no twilightland (I seriously don't know what it's called, no offense to Twilight fans), no nothing. None of it would exist.
Sometimes I find myself sitting on the sofa, watching television, or maybe I'm cooking, or playing the piano, or watching my sister, and something will come to me. Maybe it's a phrase, maybe it's one word. Maybe it's an entire sentence, or a piano solo, or a full fleshed musical score. It doesn't matter. It just comes out of no where. But that's just it! It didn't just come out of no where. It came from the depths of imagination that are hidden inside of you, that are just dying to be let out. They come in small packages, but then the dam is finally broken and all the water is released. I let my mind follow along its path, and I find myself in different realms, different dimensions, different worlds. 
So see? Without dreams and imaginations, many of the things that were accomplished today wouldn't be here. I'm not saying that all the world would be lost, but seriously, dreams and imaginations sure do help.
The great philosopheress Cinderella said:
"a dream is a wish your heart makes"
Well? It's true, isn't it? I have something to leave you with before I go. It's a dream I had. 
     His eyes were tear stained. The pillow his head rested on was damp, and the coverlets of the bed lay in a heap. The moon was long since risen, and the man inside of it seemed to be crying as well. 
 "Why did you have to leave?" he asked, "I wanted you; to take care of you, but instead you travel amongst the stars, leaving me behind." 
     The curtains of his room fluttered in the soft night breeze, and he turned his head to the alarm clock that rested on his nightstand.
 "11:11," he thought aloud. Looking into the navy blue night sky, he could've sworn he saw a shooting star.
 "11:11," he said again. "I wished for you."
I'm not sure where the dream came from, but their you are. 
One last thing:
Whether AM or PM, it's 11:11 somewhere. And at 11:11, I wished for you. 

5 comments :

  1. Jocee, this is one of the most beautiful and wonderful posts I have read in a while. Thanks for brightening my day. :)

    "it's 11:11 somewhere...."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been dreaming about one of my doctors for the past 18 months. 2 or 3 times a week for 18 months. It's crazy. They're usually really crazy dreams, like one time I dreamt that he was on Dancing With The Stars. I laugh about it, but it's really not funny. The thing is I really don't like the doctor that's taking care of me now, and I like Dr. D 1 million times better. He knows way more about my disease and he's helped a lot of people, and I really want to visit him again. But the other doctor that I don't like won't transfer my care over there, and he has to be the one to do it for insurance reasons. I want to go visit Dr. D so bad that I dream about it. It's true... I dream is a wish your heart makes. :)

    -- Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful post! I love love love it. :) It's beautifully written and it's beautifully illustrated.

    But Narnia and Middle-earth and Hogwarts and Wonderland aren't made up, silly! After all, I'm an overgrown hobbit attending Hogwarts, with a closet in my Ravenclaw dormitory leading to Narnia, where I'm queen. And don't forget, the Mad Hatter is my best friend!

    Hehehe, I couldn't resist.

    Oh, and Twilight doesn't have it's own land. It takes place in our normal old world, just with abnormal circumstances and *ahem* "creatures". ;)

    ReplyDelete

sometimes i do not understand why you guys like me so much, but the fact that you do (and that you keep coming around) makes me happier than you can even imagine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...