8.11.2011

hullo, dearheart. do you want to be my friend?

"You'll be popular, just not as popular as me!" -Popular, from Wicked
Popular - commonly liked or approved <a very popular girl>
We all read popular blogs, don't we? We admire their writings, their photography, their clothing, we admire them in general. I was having a hard time figuring out what to blog about today, and it suddenly snapped like a popping piece of corn {assuming that's the proper way to put it}: blog about popularity. I read quite a few popular blogs. You know, when you log onto your computer that one blog that you can't live without reading? Yeah, maybe that blog. The one with the perfect shade of yellow for their header, and the ideal amount of followers. You wonder what it would be like to be their friend. So, you make an attempt to become friends with them. Maybe you ask them a question in their comments box. But they didn't answer. Well, they get over 40 comments per post, so they may not be able to respond to each and every comment. You never know the circumstances. Or maybe you ask them to leave a comment in your blog's guestbook, just for them to let you know they were there. They could've seen the comment, but chose to ignore it. 
I've had this experience more than once in the blogging world, and so has another friend of mine, who happens to have a blog of her own. We have the same amount of followers, and we follow some of the same blogs. We want to be the one with the perfect clothing ensemble, the one with the perfect life, the one who makes macaroons daily, or the one with the perfect set of Audrey Hepburn sunglasses. We want to be like those people, and when we tell them we admire who they are and what they do, it seems like they don't pay it any mind. 
I've observed many popular blogs, and have scrolled down the list of blogs they follow. Some people choose only to associate with those who have the perfect blog design, that amazing vintage styled bedroom, and maybe 500 or so followers. When they come across a blog that's not like that, they shun it away and do what they please. Yeah, it's happened to me, and maybe it's happened to you, too. It really hurts, and I just wanted to let everyone know this:
someone out there wants to be just like you.
Whether it may be from blogging, or maybe it's you're little sister. Someone wants to be exactly like you. They want to wear the clothes you wear, they want to try their hand at making pastries and pies and everything that you've done. But most importantly, they want to proudly tell any bystander that they're your friend. 
so be a dearheart. remember who you are. 
Be their friend. Invite them over for lunch. Or if it's through blogging, contact them just to say hi. Tell them why you got into blogging, tell them what you inspiration was. Because I've been rejected so many times. I don't want it to happen to you, and I don't want you to do it to someone else. I bet some of you are thinking: "Me? Popular? Me? Someone wants to be just like me? Me? Girl you must be trippin'." No, I'm not "trippin'", lol. It's true. To those who haven't come to my blog, or maybe you have and just haven't really read anything, or maybe you're a Cupcake Dictionary veteran. Let's wipe the slate clean. Here's a cupcake, and a dictionary:
hullo, dearheart. do you want to be my friend?

33 comments :

  1. This is so very true. I've noticed that in certain cases, when the followers rise, the friendship fades. Blogging isn't meant to be a popularity contest. It's meant to be a place of connection and sharing. It's how it works. Don't push people out because they aren't you.

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'll be your friend! Joc, would you mind following me at my blog 'Free to Be Me'? Here's the link:

    http://meandjesus-amanda.blogspot.com

    Love you, and love your blog!! tootles, friend!

    Love,
    Manda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, my goodness! This is a wonderful, wonderful post!!! So eye-opening. I definitely have been feeling this way as of late concerning popular blogs with the 1,000 followers, and how you JUST want to be their friend. :)

    Thank you again for posting this.

    Blessings,
    Grace
    gracesgardenwalk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, I can relate to this post. Thanks for writing it! =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this!!! So true. I've been there but it's really neat to think that there are people that want to be like you even if you don't know it. I'm glad you blogged about this. You're awesome and I absolutely adore your blog. :) And I appreciate your kindness, honesty, and the fact that you replied back to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be your friend Jocee. :)
    Such a sweet post, I loved it!

    Love,
    tinyheart

    http://apieceofmyheart-tinyheart.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing words that are completely true. Fabulous post, Jocee! :)
    And yeah, being the oldest daughter with 3 younger sisters, I understand the concept of people looking up to you when you think you're nothing important. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, has someone in their life who looks up to them. Whether it be a younger sibling, a younger kid in your sunday school class at church, or the kid who's a grade younger than you in school and thinks you are the coolest thing since sliced bread (omibubbles I love saying that ;) ) Even though you don't think you are anything special, you are :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR FOLLOWING ME!!!!!!!!!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have noticed this too! I especially liked what Rachel said (first comment) -- it's not a popularity contest! One of the things I've enjoyed most about blogging is the opportunity to meet so many amazing and new people, providing the opportunity to make NEW friends. Jocee, I want YOU to know.... I'm your friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes I'll be your friend, dearest!:)

    Really awesome post...and I can totally relate.
    Thanks for writing this, Jocee:) I'm glad someone finally wrote on this kind of topic.

    Love you<3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful post Jocee! To me, your blog is one of my fave's! You wanna know why? 'Cause you always use amazing pictures in your posts. And no matter how long the post or the topic, I always enjoy reading them! :) So let's be friends!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've inspired me to write my own post on this...besides, I've been wanting to write something about followers and such anyway. =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very true m'dear. You say, what the rest of us average people think. :)

    I want to be your friend.... oh wait. I am. :)

    big hugs! xxxxx~Kelsey

    ReplyDelete
  14. http://dramaticelegance.blogspot.com/2011/08/sensuivre-follow.html

    And here are my thoughts on the matter. <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. lovely post. very true. < 3

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would love to be your friend. And can I just say -- you are that blog. The community that looks like so much fun to be apart of. Such an inspiring post... thankyou thankyou. And there's a Someone out there who loves every piece of me and all of us for who I am, who we are. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  17. this was beautiful! and so true! thanks for sharing<3

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this post. :) I am a not-so-popular blogger. A girl that's isolated in a small group of the blogging world. I don't care that I don't have that many fans/readers, though. I love to blog. I thank you kindly for this post, I agree with it totally.

    Hello, my name is Carolyn, and I am a fan of your blog. :)

    ~Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jocee, *luv* this post. I absolutely adore your blog!! And sometimes so much great content is in blogs that *aren't* the most popular. I agree with Katie. Beautiful and true! :)

    p.s. I love "Popular" :) the song :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is an amazing post Jocee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a good post! I stop by your blog every once and a now and then (twice today though ;]) just to read your posts. I don't even follow because I've been trying to keep the amount low, since it helps me not stay on the computer as much. Though, I understand how people feel with hundreds of followers, they just CAN'T be friends with everyone. It's not because they're ignoring them, but try to be blogging friends with one hundred people and keep up with them all . . . it's challenging. Just so ya know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Jocee,
    Great post! I have been striving to get more followers for ages, it became a bit of and obsession. I tried copying other popular blogs, but now I have realised that it best just to be myselelf on my blog!

    Beth

    P.S I would love it if you stopped by some time

    http://bethsbloggy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is an awesome post!! Go sister. I'll be your friend! Yup. Rock on darling.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you, thank you, thank you! for this post. I've been thinking about this lately, and after reading this post, I feel SO encouraged.
    --Acacia

    ReplyDelete
  25. I fell in love with your blog weeks ago, this was the icing on the, ummm, cupcake. You've started me thinking. As bloggers we don't have to try and compete with each other. Neither do we have to post only what is considered popular. We can just be ourselves. Thank you, you helped me make some decisions with my own blog. : )

    ReplyDelete
  26. ...yes this is my third comment on this post. I think. Maybe my fourth.

    I understand that it is hard to have a LOT of followers, and not keep up with everyone. On that, both Jocee and I cut the world some slack. But even still, there is a difference between being sweet and caring toward others, and being cold to everyone that isn't in your bloggy circle. If I ever get that "famous," I make a promise to not get that way. =/

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Rachel

    Yes, I've got a lot of followers too (just not hundreds!) and I try to be kind and check back at most everyone's blog every so often and leave a comment. I haven't really met anyone 'famous' that is cold to others, since most of the time the nice people get more followers, but I haven't had much experience so yeah!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is like exactly what Ive been thinking about for a while...popularity really isent my thing but i love that you wrote about it (: i say "if you stop being you,who else are you going to be?" That's why I (almost) always try to be me in every situation on every day ! btw i love your blog (: you are so down to earth but like a whimsical book character... :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. First of all let me say... where has your blog been all my life :) I stumbled here through Dramatic Elegance's post this afternoon and am so glad. Your blog is lovely. I have been exactly at this place, wondering what my worth is. Thank you for posting this. It has convicted me. I can't wait to browse your blog more.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hello there Jocee! I would deeply love to be your friend! Would you like to be mine? I love you and your blog and cupcakes! Dictionaries- well... Lets just say, I prefer Thesauruses. But maybe we can put that difference in opinion aside and be friends!? ;) Awesome post! Fizi Kizi xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. a truly wonderful post...straight from the heart! I think you just became one of those idolized bloggers--I want to blog like you :D

    Thank you so much for writing that post, it's amazing how many poeple feel exactly like you do!
    I would love to have a friend such as you!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Amazing post. Such deep thoughts! So uplifting. Like everyone above this, and probably many below, thank you for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I want to be your friend!! ♥ Your blog is that popular blog to me :)

    ReplyDelete

sometimes i do not understand why you guys like me so much, but the fact that you do (and that you keep coming around) makes me happier than you can even imagine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...