10.13.2011

apple crisp

"There is something beautiful about the baking process. The way flour feels in your hands or the sound of eggs cracking on the edge of a bowl. Baking is a gathering of interesting materials, a mixed medium art piece of sorts, that ends in a cake instead of a canvas." from tiger in a jar

today is one of those days, that starts off with eggs, bacon, and potatoes {equaling breakfast tacos}, the psat's, seeing one of your piano friends for the first time in months, and realizing the math section wasn't as bad as you thought it would be. and so, in celebration, after stopping by chick-fil-a to have a filling lunch and piano practice promptly following, before swim practice and before church, the making of apple crisp seems to be in order. 

ingredients
{for the apples}
4 to 6 apples {you can use any kind you like, we used honeycrisp}
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice 
3 tablespoons orange juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
optional: 1 teaspoon of orange & lemon zest

{for the crumble}
1 stick very cold, unsalted butter
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar 
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup oats 

directions
preheat the oven to 350. 

cut the apples into 1/2 inch slices {be sure to core them}. put them in a bowl and add the flour, sugar, lemon & orange juice, cinnamon and nutmeg. add the zest if you like. toss it until it is just combined. place the apples in a baking dish, layering them on top of each other, set aside. 

dice the butter and put it into a mixing bowl. add the flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt, and oats, and mix until the butter looks like little peas. crumble on top of the apples, distributing it evenly. put the baking dish in the oven and bake for 30-35min, or until the crumble turns a golden brown. 

this is a key step, please pay attention: after the crisp is cooled, put a hearty serving onto a plate, put on your favorite wool sweater, go outside and sit on the porch, and eat it with a good book on the side. i chose the help. 
today is one of those days, that when after the crisp has been devoured and enjoyed, and you finish a book with satisfaction, you sit and watch the sunset, wrap your arms around yourself, and just smile. 

and what better way to end this with a quote:
"A meal, according to my understanding anyhow, is a communal event, bringing together family members, neighbors, even strangers. At its most ordinary, it involves hospitality, giving, receiving and gratitude.”
– Wendell Berry

-kiss kiss kiss, hug jelly doughnut-
{pee ess: this post was written yesterday, but due to slight laziness and mesmerization from the crisp, it is being posted today.}
{pee pee ess: photo challenge soon. all things autumn, anyone?}

13 comments :

  1. I loved that first paragraph! Not the quote, yours! It looks delicious! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy!!!!!

    Thanks for the recipe!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I went to take the psat today, but I went the wrong day! Turns out, it was yesterday but we were given the wrong date! Haha was it hard/bad?

    this-real-heart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apple crisp is one of my favorite desserts! Love it!

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Apple crisp= heaven!
    I love em!
    And yes, anything autumn sounds blissful. I will enter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. right now i'm eating apple *chips*. they are quite an unusual blend of sugar, spices, cinnamon, and red apples. i've never been fond of crunchy, sweet things other than cookies but i make it do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm, looks yummy!:)

    And I protest, the math section of the psat was positively horrendous. (I took it yesterday as well) :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. that looks really yummy and autumn-y. and daggum, hurry up and write me and tell me more about the boy that plays the piano:D

    love youuuuuu---------<3---

    ReplyDelete
  9. NICE!!!! looks sooo good!!!
    bffs till the end of time lu ya sis
    you shoould help me with my blog hehehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love apple crisp, but no more apples for me thank you. I've been canning apples for two weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I took the PSAT too! And the math section wasn't as hard as I thought too! AND I had chick-fil-a for lunch too. :D But, I didn't have apple crisp. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the great information on hospitality ...That was my best days when I had spent my vacation on
    Restaurant Broadbeach

    ReplyDelete

sometimes i do not understand why you guys like me so much, but the fact that you do (and that you keep coming around) makes me happier than you can even imagine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...