7.10.2012

grainy.


one of my favorite things about going to see my grandparent's is the fact that they own a film camera. it's an old pentax, and my grandaddy has owned it for over forty years. that's before there was wifi. so pretty much right after God said "let there be light."

i don't remember when i first got into film. maybe it was the scent of nostalgia that worked its way through the dust. the grainy edge that i could see through the lens. the retracting noise it makes as it clicks, like a puppy-dog whimper. the first time i saw it, it was just begging for me to pick it up, and i complied, feeling comfortable with the way it rested with my hands. and one of the things that makes it so special is that it waits for me whenever i walk through my grandparent's door. 

so on tuesday, july 3rd, as grandma came back from her errand to the grocery store and grandaddy began to leave, i spoke up. can we go get that film developed today? handbags were slung upon shoulders and film was retrieved, and we took the trip to walgreens. it'll be ready within the hour. the hour. so long. fortunately, we went grocery shopping {i know} to pass the time. an hour and a half later, the film was put into my hands, and this is what came through.

my thoughts are stars i cannot fathom into constellations.
untitled.
untitled.
untitled.
untitled.
untitled.
untitled.
it's a different feeling, waiting to see how your pictures turn out. if there are light leaks in the corners and white splotches on the main subject. in the age of digital, everything is instant. but there's a certain thrill, a certain anticipation that comes with capturing memories the old-fashioned way. you learn to live in the moment, to tell yourself to remember. because you won't be able to relive it instantly, you have to wait for an hour or two. 

and for the record, film photography is just downright hypster.
-kiss kiss kiss, digitality-

14 comments :

  1. so true. there is a certain air of excitement when you wait for your pictures to develop. And it is so fun to look through each picture and hold the photographs in your hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so cool, jocee! and you're right, film is super hypster :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. amen. and it's even more rewarding to develop it yourself. :)
    your film shots are beautiful. I love the John Green book too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love film. I got my aunt's film camera, and I can't wait to start using it. I adore the first picture, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got a couple old (like OLD like, these were used by my Gr. Grandma to take my Granddad's baby pictures) cameras that I inherited, but I can't find film anywhere. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love film cameras! My Mom and Dad both have one; two really old ones. :) I have wanted to get the film so I could doodle around with it, but it is hard to find anymore! Lovely post, Jocee. It is a shame the age of film and vintage-ness (which is awesome) is quickly fading into the past.

    Beautiful pictures.

    xo,
    Mikailah @ Maid For Him
    www.maid4him.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful!! And shooting in film is brilliant ;)
    Kimmy x

    ReplyDelete
  8. SO gorgeous - SOSOSOSO extremely gorgeous. The Christmas tree lights and pine cone picture made my heart spin and ache with happiness; the bokeh in that picture contains a milky, creamy feel and it absorbs into the picture, whirling and fluttering as if in a dream. I like that. A lot.

    xx.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you hypster, you. I've never shot with film before, and seeing your photos makes me want to so much. love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these photos! I love old film cameras they're so great :)

    i just started a little blog, check it out:
    http://thisactuality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. the first- gaaah!
    I got a film camera last saturday, and have been taking pictures like a maniac. I'm excited to see how they turn out. (:

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jocee, those are gorgeous!!!
    girlzofgod.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love film pictures - especially the ones with leaks. i will soon be developing my disposable camera and i am oh-so excited to see how they turn out! (:

    ReplyDelete

sometimes i do not understand why you guys like me so much, but the fact that you do (and that you keep coming around) makes me happier than you can even imagine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...