9.10.2012

spontaneity.

untitled.
[insert awkward and random film photo here]
i was supposed to write this post the day my new design got installed, but obviously that didn't happen, so here it is now. maybe i've kept you in the dark for awhile, or maybe i forgot about it altogether, but the new design was supposed to be the start of a relaunch of sorts, a new branding. i don't know. something like that.

it had been going around the blogger-sphere for quite awhile now: branding and rebranding. i'd tried it before, but i wasn't very serious, so i let it go until i realised what branding really was. it was defining you, what you wanted to do, and it was labeling your work. so when gracie and i started talking about the new design, i got into it, for real this time. there were so many categories and options and colour palettes to choose from and such. but when it came to categories, i was stuck. was i a lifestyle blogger or a foodie, or a fashion blogger, or a photographer? i know my blog isn't primarily any of these, and when i tried on each category for size, i felt confined. in a box. i realised that if [insert category here] was the label i chose, i could be compelled to keep to that label. and in a way, it stifled my creativity.

so, i decided i would create my own category.
spontaneous |spänˈtānēəs|
adjective
performed or occurring as a result of a sudden inner impulse or inclination and without premeditation or external stimulus: the audience broke into spontaneous applause | a spontaneous display of affection.
• (of a person) having an open, natural, and uninhibited manner.
• (of a process or event) occurring without apparent external cause
spontaneously, spontaneity. via apple dictionary
after awhile, routine tends to get boring for me. even though i do certain series' of posts, i don't have a specific day that i want/have to do them in. so routine; i just threw it out the window and decided to write whatever came. and if nothing came, i was disappointed, but at the same time, i'm at liberty to do whatever i want to do. same goes with photography. i'm not a lifestyle photographer, a portrait photographer or a wedding photographer, i'm a spontaneous photographer. i capture whatever calls to me, whatever stands out. and with everything i do, that's the way i always want it to be.

what about you? have you branded/rebranded?
-kiss kiss kiss, ice ice baby-
{pea ess: i ate cupcakes yesterday. yes, post on that is coming soon.}
{pea pea ess: a cold front has swept over texas. it's in the 80's. this is how it should feel all year round. am i right? loving it.}

18 comments :

  1. this is awesome. i've yet to define my "brand", but i'm working on it. and i love the way your blog is - i hope you never confine yourself. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think its possible to brand me. i do, capture, create, write, read, watch, listen to, and feel whatever calls to me, and i hear different things depending on my mood and the moment..
    i don't like branding. spontaneity is so much better <3
    xox-

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cool front was amazing and also quite startling when I found myself in shorts and without a jacket at 6 in the morning when it was about 58 degrees. brrrrr.

    And I don't know if I ever told you this before but I love your new design! gorgeous. spontaneity is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So branding is photography-related? Well, that makes more sense. I looked at Pinterest boards labeled "Brand" and I just thought, "What the heck are they talking about?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, i've re-branded.. about to again.
    just need change sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful branding for this blog. I love what you chose- so you!
    84 here and loving it.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just now seeing the new design and I <3 it!!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would throw myself into the "No Category" category. But since I can't really do that, I'd be in the whimsical or spontaneous category.
    I don't want to brand myself though, so I won't.

    You're precisely right, Jocee. If we categorize ourselves, we feel contained. We feel that we have to STAY in that specific category, and thus, our creativity is squelched.
    Love this post, dear!

    ~Kate @ in pursuit

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like to re-brand my blog for reals because I'm kind of limboing in the blog world, if that's what you'd call it. My blog is going through an awkward stage in it's life. It's like a teenager. I think I need a for reals makeover and I really need to think about what my blog stands for and what to post about. Sorry for ranting, but I just now realized. ahaha(:

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're legit, ya know?
    This kind of describes my blog/photography. When someone asks what type of photography I do, "lifestyle...?" is what my mouth usually mumbles. Once I get home, I think on that question and try to come up with a satisfying answer. But I soon realize I can't. I feel confined whenever I try to categorize my work in depth. And though it may not be ideal if ever I decide to get more serious about payed photography sessions, spontaneity describes what I do perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spontaneous is the only way to go! Those are always the best blogs anyway ;)
    xo Heather
    http://ahopelessnotebook.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely post, and I do (like you) feel very much stuck on what kind of "brand" i am when blogging...I guess we have yet to find out! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this "brand" I don't really like being stuck in a box of "This is what I must blog about" great post! :) I love your photography and your blog :)
    Kimmy x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your new design is lovely! Pretty psyched to be on your favourites list!
    Branding... Ugh. We talk about it a lot in my business studies class and it often comes across as a terrible fake mask, built up as a facade to make a company look more ethical, more family-friendly, and just plain nice.
    With blogs though, I think it's different. You're not trying to sell a huge corporation or anything--maybe sometimes a photography session or a sponsor spot, but often not even that. In the case of blogging, our kind of branding is more defining an aesthetic, pulling together a look, and feeling consistent. It doesn't have to stop you doing something else occasionally, but it gives you a focus. Sometimes you have to put yourself 'in the box' to think outside the box, you know?
    And since bloggers, at least the ones I read, are often upfront about their branding, that changes it. Like, you are honest. "I am trying to find out who I am and what my blog means to me." Okay. You are not building up a fake empire.
    So yeah, branding--it's okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmm. this is a really good point of view! i understand what you're saying, and honestly, my view has expanded a little bit.
      also, you're cute. just saying. ;)

      Delete
  15. mmm. very true + good + lovely. thanks so much for posting this.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think that you are a person and people defy being put in boxes or neat little sentences. I'm not the most successful, but my advice is just embrace the bigger picture of who you are and your image will fall into place.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the colors! How did you know I love peachy pink? XD

    ReplyDelete

sometimes i do not understand why you guys like me so much, but the fact that you do (and that you keep coming around) makes me happier than you can even imagine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...