1.31.2012

i'm coming out {seven} dots and stars

i think i've said this so many times before, and yet, it's worth saying again. our society only credits those who are beautiful. beautiful meaning megan fox or miley or lindsay. and the only thing we want is to get rid of them. the media has created an image that you must be skinny, dress half-naked, and preferably not a virgin to be beautiful. and the normal people who aren't like that; the ones that are normal size or overweight, the ones that dress heavily so no one sees their flaws, the ones who don't want to give away their bodies for no reason at all - they put them down.

i was reading this book to my sister the other night. a book where people were constantly labeling themselves. the outgoing, talented people always got stars. and the quiet, shy and clumsy people always got dots. in a way, the media is the giving out the stars and the dots. and giving them all to the same people.

and we always get the dots. it sucks, doesn't it? the obvious favoritism they give. they don't even give us a chance, because the beautiful people deserve the spotlight. and all we are to them is just ugly. the hunchback of a modern notre dame.

Eli stooped down and picked him up and set him on the bench. "Hmm," the maker spoke thoughtfully as he looked at the gray dots. "Looks like you've been given some bad marks."
"I didn't mean to, Eli. I tried really hard."
"Oh, you don't have to defend yourself to me, child. I don't care what the other Wemmicks think."
"You don't?"
"No, and you shouldn't either. Who are they to give stars or dots? They're Wemmicks just like you. What they think doesn't matter, Punchinello. All that matters is what I think. and I think you are pretty special." 

and we even go through life labeling people. stars for the witty. dots for the same. we've stooped down to a level that we constantly swear against. and we don't even know that we're participating in the bullying ourselves.

"The stickers only stick if they matter to you. The more you trust my love, the less you care about their stickers."
we are even judged by others. given dots for the obvious charm. dots for the blame of another's wrongdoing. and we're so ashamed that we can't even stand up for ourselves, when there are others out their who need standing up for, too.

"Remember," Eli said as the Wemmick walked out the door, "you are special because I made you. And I don't make mistakes."
Punchinello didn't stop, but in his heart he thought, I think he really means it. And when he did, a dot fell to the ground. 
from You are Special, by Max Lucado

who are we to judge? to be judged? God made us beautiful in our own way. he doesn't give dots or stars. he made us to be stars. it's by our own convictions that we have dots encased around our bodies. but we are made to shine before others. wouldn't it be wonderful literally have a glow about you as you walked? a craftsman's signature. it's God saying you are special. 

so who are you going to become? 
-kiss kiss kiss, hug cardstock-
{pea ess: right, so um, five days to project launch. look for a sneak peek at megan's blog soon!}
{postscriptive the second: thanks for all the feedback on yesterday's post! glad to see what you guys were saying.}

18 comments :

  1. lovely post and i understand every word you said. Sounds like a must read book too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, joceeeeee. you are SO RIGHT!!! :P i completetly agree. thanks for sharing!<3

    ReplyDelete
  3. wonderful post :) as always :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya know Ms. Jocee, you really do know how to make people feel better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw, that Max Lucado book is so special to me from when I was younger! I had totally forgotten about it.

    Lovely post, Jocee. ♥

    xo
    Maria Elyse

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that book<3 And you really do give some good points! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. this was a great post. down with society, we are the beautiful ones. the only stickers that stick are the ones that matter to you. ...such a great line!♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read this book... so adorable :) But I never thought about how much it applied to real life. Beautiful again, Jocee.

    Lovelovelove,

    Abbie /// XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post was brilliant Jocee- I agree totally :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Grandmother gave me that book, and I have never really read it.

    But now I think I might :)

    -Ryan♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing post, Jocee! Very inspirational and beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was beautiful! Those words were so encouraging to me; thank you!

    -Oriana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely post! This is very true. I really like reading that book to my younger siblings. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. ah, I love that story--it's always stood out to me, even if I am a little too old for it. (: so much truth.
    and to this whole post: amen and amen.
    ♥♥, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so inspiring and so true! I love how you portray this. I struggled with my appearance a few years ago but then I learnt that it is not how good you look on the outside...it is whats on the inside that counts.

    (www.katieskornerhere.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  16. jocee dear,
    i couldn't agree more.

    amen.

    xo

    ReplyDelete

sometimes i do not understand why you guys like me so much, but the fact that you do (and that you keep coming around) makes me happier than you can even imagine.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...